"It's not working! We need more monkeys!"

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Hello Mr. Foo Dog

The trip to bring Kristin to college was quite a road trip. Brian and I both worked Tuesday, Aug. 22, so we took off immediately after work and drove 5-plus grueling hours to get to Seaside. Except for the wonderful sea smell, we noticed nothing as we stumbled out of the car and into our hotel beds at midnight.

It was up at 5:30 a.m. the next day and over to Scott's to help load up Kristin's belongings, both those destined for college and those heading to our house since Scott will be selling his house soon and how no idea what to do with Kristin's flotsam and jetsom until he was resettled.

It was a relatively short drive to Forest Grove and Pacific University, thankfully, and a pleasant surprise. I hadn't been there in many years and the town has really grown. It's a stone's throw from Hillsboro now -- Portland has really spread out in amazing proportions. Pacific is a nice, compact campus, with wonderful old buildings and huge trees mixed in with more modern brick facilities. We moved Kristin into her dorm room, met her roomate Elena, who is from Hilo, Hawaii, and explored the area. After a supply run into town for missing must-haves for her room, a really bad parent's dinner, and a busy day, we left for Redmond.

In all I was impressed with Pacific, at least what I could see on the surface. Their school colors are red and black, which are pretty cool compared to many school colors and the 'mascot' is a Chinese foo dog -- they are called The Boxers -- but the dog is distinctly Oriental and exotic in apprearance, which is beyond cool compared to most mascots. For those reasons alone I'm happy with Pacific.

We only hope it suits Kristin even more.

---lph