We headed up to the Methow in late April for a "working vacation." Our dreamily optimistic idea is that, one day, when we more money and time, we'll build a little vacation cabin on the family farm. Since we have little of either of the aforementioned, we'll have to work on the project in bits and drabs.
So this trip we timed to help B's dad plant trees -- hundreds of them. Some were for a wildlife conservation project (and helped his irrigation project) and some were to add screening for the section we hope to build on. We planted poplar trees, we planted pine trees, we planted apple trees and plum trees.
We felt like pioneers.
It rained. It got hot. It rained a lot -- then it was just a soggy mess.
We thought the pioneers must have been nuts
It was a busy week at "Hole in the Wall Ranch." Jan was busy helping with an election campaign for a friend, Chuck was busy with a new irrigation system and Keith was busy keeping us kids busy.
I had never been to Methow in spring so it was a treat. It's lovely up there then, and much quieter than I'm used. to. The ranch has been tidied up tremendously so I have little old junk to photograph -- but managed to find a few things anyway.
Did I mentioned it rained?
The intrepid neo-pioneers.
No comments:
Post a Comment