"It's not working! We need more monkeys!"

Monday, August 27, 2012

The Trouteholes Go Californian -- Episode 2



 First stop after San Francisco: Monterey. 
What did we find there? Great Mexican food. 
Also,  our motel was ordinary and modest but was right on the beach to the extreme north end of Monterey -- which was great because we could watch the surfers, the boats and the seals, as well as hike for miles on isolated stretches of sand.





 The spot was popular with surfers, which was nice because it gave the kids something to study to get ready for their first lesson later in the week.



 We could see the lights of Monterey each night across the water and hear the pounding surf, even with our door closed. It was the best kind of beach vacation. Brian got some great runs in along the long beaches outside our door, getting ready for his big triathlon.



 We discovered, quite by accident, that we were staying on one of the best beaches in California for finding beach glass, something that's rare to find on Oregon beaches anymore. 

Jess and I got up early several mornings to go treasure hunting and ran into a smattering of other beachcombers looking for the same thing. I was also in it for the seaweed, something I used to collect in jars of seawater when I was a kid living on the bay.




Teeny crab

Huge amount of sea glass at the beach in Seaside

sea lion/seal flipper bones

The sound outside our door, every night. 

No comments: