"It's not working! We need more monkeys!"

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Road trip time


Did a few quick road trips this July. Right after the holiday we headed to Irrigon to visit B's grandfather Abe, who had been on hospice for some time. Aunt Darlene and her mother Leah welcomed us with open arms (us was B & I, Jess and Josh) and showed us their lovely home, with a humongous garden, chicken yard, rabbits in hutches and giant shop. Abe was set up in a hospital bed in the living room the night we arrived and at first I was disappointed to think he might not be aware enough of our presence to make the visit count.

But the next day he rallied and came with us to the sun porch, where he proceeded to whip our butts at dominoes. He was chatty and full of quips and it as a wonderful time. As it happened he was gone soon after, so we were so glad we had made the trip. Abe led a pretty interesting life and it was a shame we (Jess, Josh and me) never got a chance to know him well. 


The next week we (Jess and I) headed in the opposite direction, for a baby shower in Eugene. B's cousin Dusty and his wife Andrea are expecting their first child and it was a family-only gathering of McCourt-Hole females. Jess had knit a very cute little cap and I made an entirely recycled sweater and hat, in honor of a very environmentally aware couple.


No comments: