"It's not working! We need more monkeys!"

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

A year of duality



It's official, 2013 has wrapped up and 2014 looms ahead.

I am happy to see it go. This was an odd little year and I have no great attachment to it. In many ways it was a stressful year and one filled with sadness.

I don't remember when things started to go south. The day Kristin fell on the ski slope and ended up on a surgery table? Maybe. It was  blow to her overall well-being, and the fiscal health of both her and us.

Then each kid in their turn went through life-changing experiences, both containing highs and lows. Sarah graduated college, technically, but still needs a lingering class to get her diploma. And now she's in the hunt for work, hurting for money and stressed beyond belief. Which stresses her mother. Kristin moved, ended a long term relationship and entered the grown up work field, still struggling with deciding where she wants to head with her life. Travis completed basic training with the Army and has returned but is uncertain how to move forward with his goals from here. Jess, in her senior year, has gone through mammoth changes -- working, getting involved in theater, making new friends -- and is now overwhelmed with college decisions. And we continue to see Josh very little, at his discretion.

I try not to fret about the kids but I fail miserably.

It was a year of loss. Brian lost two grandparents, I lost my brother -- and one of my chickens, which stressed me because I did not know why. A confusing and sad time.

The whole yin and yang thing persisted all year. Working for the daily paper more regularly has provided both interesting challenges and fun, and a lot of stress. I hit a high point when I finished a long-term project of annotating all of our digital photos, then was faced with the reality that it was  never-ending job, like dirty dishes. I completed Josh's graduation quilt, only to start on Jessie's.

We've been working towards a simple cabin project for the Methow all year, which should be exciting and fun but instead has been stressful and complicated. Losing my brother also brought us closer to my sister-in-law, who has been a welcome addition to the family.

We're facing an empty house in the coming year and many potential changes, which is both exciting and frightening.

So many dualities this year and ultimately, chaos. Here's to 2014.

--lph

No comments: