"It's not working! We need more monkeys!"

Friday, July 14, 2023

A Matter of the Heart


a plethora of hospital cups is a measurement of too many stays.

 Nearly two years after being officially diagnosed with patent formamen ovale, a congenital heart defect, I went into the hospital to have the proverbial "hole in the heart" closed up. Nowadays they do it without open heart surgery, instead using a fiber camera to go through an artery to make a repair. Believe it or not, it's an outpatient procedure. 

I felt fine to go home that night but woke up in pain, with shortness of breath and a sky-high blood pressure and respiration. They told me to go to the ER, where I was diagnosed with a pericardial effusion and pericarditis (inflammation in the lining around the heart). A tough week in the hospital followed, with every step causing chest pain. Day by day I got better, damning my luck at yet again having the 2% chance of a negative outcome from the procedure. 

No comments: